Monday, February 22, 2021

Updates and Quilt Love!

 I've been involved in an online quilting group for many years and have been quite active.  But as happens with a lot of things, I chose to leave the group where I spent too much time daily, and concentrate on my blog instead.  I have much I would like to share and this is the best way.  

Last week I posted a pic of this quilt on Facebook!


This was a Stack and Whack quilt as opposed to a one block wonder.  There is a slight difference and there are two groups on Facebook that will advise you of one or the other.  I prefer this style because of the way the triangles set off the "kaleidoscope flowers".  I have a guild friend who sews a lot for our charitable purposes and she had carried around this border fabric on a bolt for sometime.  She just didn't know what to do with it.  Its a Jackie Robinson fabric called 40's roses I believe or something like that.  Certainly not available for purchase and I wasn't familiar with Jackie but she does have a company called Animas.  

At any rate, I thought the border and colors were beautiful and wanted to try my hand at creating a stack and whack with it.  You have to carefully pin together 6 layers of fabric, cut 3 3/4" or so and then cut 60 degree triangles out of the strip.  Those triangles create the flower!  

 Maybe you can see it better here draped on a chair.  I usually take my photos of quilts on the floor as above because I can spread them out.  But one of my HS friends on Facebook saw it and thought it was a rug so I have to explain that to her.  But another friend saw the quilt, loved it and bought it for his granddaughter.  I hope she loves it.  

The fabric was so beautiful I just had to miter the corners.  However, you can see in the top photo, bottom left corner I didn't have enough fabric to miter all 4 corners.  So in that last corner I sewed the excess cut offs together to create a border and then appliqued a rose in that section.  No one but me would notice or pick it out.  

I had mitered corners before but it wasn't until I purchased a mitered border tool that I got good at it.  http://www.sewbizmarion.com/shop/c/p/Quick-Easy-BORDER-Mitering-Tool-Large.htm

I had purchased the small tool which is perfectly usable even for a large width fabric.  It made a difference in my mitering abilities!  

Until next time, have a happy quilting day!  

2 comments:

  1. Love this quilt! Is the border fabric what you used for the stack and whack part?

    ReplyDelete