So this morning I opened up my emails to discover this blog from Prairie Moon Quilts, https://prairiemoonquilts.com/category/studio-organizing-challenge/ I'm two months late but what the heck. Its never too late to join in on an organizing challenge. And really, I've been doing some organizing this year in spite of being behind. One of Shelly's challenges was to attack a pile and I"ve been doing that lately. Another is to choose 3 troublesome things to deal with. I think I have more than 3 things but 3 is a good place to start.
I've already digging into piles and moving things around. Lets start with my closet/ironing board, etc.
Believe it or not, this is progress. The wire rack you see in the closet (minus doors) has been moved from my son's room and exchanged for a bookcase that was previously in the closet. In doing so, I delved into my section of bins that housed my patriotic scraps and unfinished projects. Last year, I participated in sewing "unity" with Bonnie Hunter and used up a bunch of patriotic scraps. Never mind, they were still multiplying in the closet so I decided to call a friend. Barbie works on Quilts of Valor and I asked her if she wanted some scraps. She happily said yes and I have created a pile for her, including at least 3 partial tops. Maybe her guild can work them into something. You can see on my ironing table that it has now gotten a new cover. A fresh b/w ticking that I brought back from England in 2016. Fond memories of that visit with my friend Barbara.
This second pic is of my cutting table, a corner that desperately needs to be organized and more. Try as I might, I can't keep more than a tiny space open on my cutting table to cut strips and squares. I tend to push whatever it is I worked on aside to create a space. More than once last year, I tidied this up but I aim to get better.
So, my three things are: Share patriotic fabrics with others, create a new ironing board cover, and go through bins to see what is in them.
Already done! In two bins that rest by my front door, I found many finished tops, some with backings that just need quilting. One I donated to my guild with backing to finish and donate for a local fundraiser. One I put on Facebook and managed to sell the top with its backing! And the third went to my church to be tied and added to the Lutheran World Relief pile. I'm feeling quite accomplished already!