Tuesday, January 1, 2013

HAPPY NEW YEAR 2013

This year I am going to make a real effort to resurrect this blog and I hope to be able to share! I have a goal this year to make 12 charity quilts for our local guild, Silver Threads Quilt Guild in Fort Walton Beach, Fl. I have a good start as I am a prolific sewer and I just sit down and push that fabric through the machine. I am also very creative in mixing and matching fabrics as I have been an interior decorator for 28 1/2 years! I love fabrics and making them work. 1. My first quilt is a for a little boy and was made entirely out of scraps left over from two quilts I made for my two three year old grandsons. Its amazing how much you can make with literally a pile of scraps!
I started with the center rectangle of part of a road and just kept sewing strips around it until it was the size I wanted. It wasn't hard to find backing in my stash either, plain red! 2. The second quilt is a take on the 9 patch. I had a stack of nine patch blocks from a swap and they really weren't very attractive so I took a square of contrast fabric the same size as the block and cut strips 2 inches out from the center square. Then sewed them back for the disappearing 9 patch, added sashing and borders and voila! Totally from my stash.
3. Quilt # 3 was a fun one made for a little girl! I don't get to do much pink as I have 3 grandsons and my granddaughter isn't in to pink. The pattern was a tutorial entitled Little Kukla Quilt tutorial and was fun to make. The four large birdhouse squares were a fat quarter and the rest of the strips were entirely from my stash except the outer border which I bought on sale last week. You can find the tutorial at
I did change it up a bit by adding the brown sashing all around the center strips and only one border additional. I hope you've enjoyed seeing these as much as I enjoyed making them!

No comments:

Post a Comment