Saturday, October 10, 2020

TOO MUCH FABRIC?

 


I was reading Jo Kramer's blog this morning and she started with the above image!  You can find here blog here  https://www.joscountryjunction.com/something-to-ponder/.  Which led me to my own sewing room and answering the question.  No, I can't have too much fabric!  However, the idea is that you must use the fabric you have and try not to buy new very often!  

I'm not posting a pic of my sewing room.  Its certainly not as big as Jo's.  But just as messy.  And I have 3 visible projects going on right now.  

One is the Sewcialites blocks that come out each Friday from Fat Quarter Shop https://www.fatquartershop.com/sewcialites and Pat Sloan.  Or you can google the name and it will come up with the information.  There is a you tube video from fat quarter shop where she showcases all the blocks, 40 I think in 3 different sizes and Kimberly sewed them all with pressed open seams.  I rarely press open, too much work.  I press to the dark and use Bonnie Hunter's method of spinning the seams.  A few years ago, I had signed up for a BOM at the local shop and never accomplished any of it.  I recently stumbled on about 6 yds of Kona off white that was supposed to be used in that project.  So I pulled out all of the purple and lime green fabrics from this project and I'm using them to make the blocks.  Probably wont put a dent in it but it feels good knowing they have a purpose.  

The second project is Moda's stitch pink 30 blocks, one for each day in October.  Here is the link for their facebook group https://www.facebook.com/groups/2695033510717246.  For this project, I knew that I had some pink ribbon fabric left over from a few years back and found it in my pink container box.  That box is overflowing and I pulled out all of the BOM fabrics from above that were pinks to add to it.  Here is my progress thus far.  I've made a few more after this photo.  


My third project that I'm working on simultaneously is quilting Beaded Lanterns which is a free pattern from Christa Quilts https://christaquilts.com/freepattern/.  Here is my version.  


Its really a lot prettier than this pic shows.  Fabric is Shiny Objects and there is a lot of gold and silver in it.  I'm about 3/4 finished with it and I'm loving the quilt pattern I'm using of straight lines.  I'll blog more about that when I finish.  

So like Jo, I have 3 projects going on right now.  And I'm keeping up with them.  I have a couple more I've started but set them aside for now to do these.  I'm so happy to be able to use my pink ribbon fabric for a quilt designed for breast cancer month.  I had BC in 2018.  So appropriate.  

So yesterday I went to the LQS not intending to buy anything but I needed to get out of the house.  The shop had a whole section of Quilting Treasures short bolts for  $5.99 a yard.  I kept saying I don't need anything and then, a grey with white snowflakes and a bit of teal in it jumped into my arms.  Jelly Snow Flake called my name.  This will be perfect for Pat Sloans' Jelly Snowflake quilt.  Sigh.  

No comments:

Post a Comment