Saturday, August 22, 2020

VICKSBURG AND MORE!

 The second part of our trip away from home involved going to Vicksburg, MS, a place my husband had long wanted to visit.  Sadly a few things were closed due to covid but mostly we got to do the main things.  We hired a guide to drive us around the National Park and tell us about the Civil War and see the variety of different monuments set out by the states whose armies participated in the battle.  It was a two hour tour and quite educational. Our guide was descended from one of the original settlers in Mississippi way back years ago.  He also had a great great grandfather who served in the Confederacy.  They are proud of their heritage!  And I agree they should be proud.  

The next day after a good breakfast at the local Cracker Barrel, we headed to the Old Court House Museum.  It was one of the best museums with local history that I have ever been to.  The first room we visited was The Confederate Room.  Many of the items in this room were donated by Mississippi families who relatives also served in the Confederacy.  Civil War Uniforms, musket balls, newspaper reports, swords, guns, medical equipment and much more showed me a side of the Civil War you don't get in history books.  The room was packed full of artifacts, mostly Confederate but quite a few Union items as well.  The next room was a costume room and what a treat that was for me.  Wedding dresses and shoes from the 1800's were kept in cases, day dresses and more.  All the things you would need to adorn yourself in the 1800's. 

 The Furniture room held a whole complete parlor with fireplace donated by a family.  Collections of Meissen porcelain, dinnerware and household items and this is where we started seeing the quilts.  

Below is a quilt that was attributed to a slave maker.  It was applique and such tiny stitches. 


    Below is a selection of quilts with a wedding dress underneath.                                                              
I enjoyed seeing all the textiles and there were more quilts hanging up high in other rooms.  

There was one more quilt I noted that was laid over the foot of a bed.  It was beautifully appliqued and I realized that it wasn't a new quilt.  So I lifted up one corner and found a label on the back with a phone number.  I thought that was so smart of this woman to make this beautiful quilt and donate it and include a label.  I dont always label my quilts but I should.  Someone 100 years from now might be interested.  

1 comment: