Wednesday, August 12, 2020

WHAT I DID ON TUESDAY!

This past year, two of my quilting friends passed away leaving huge stashes and a variety of notions, rulers and more.  One of the quilters named a friend in her will to receive all of her quilting things.  The other quilter had a recurrence of her cancer and lined up friends to take care of her things as well.  

With two guilds in our area, the two quilting friends designated to dispense of the stashes, came to each guild with fabrics, notions and more to share.  What a great gift these two quilters made!  

Which leads me to my blog post today.  Leave quilts, not fabric!  Use up that stash and if you aren't using it, share it!  I've been doing a lot of sharing lately.  I was cleaning out my sewing room recently and I had a large plastic bin that I put in the hallway outside my room.  When I found something I didn't want anymore it went in the bin.  Once it goes into a bin or box that I intend to mail, I dont look at it again.  Out of sight out of mind.  I have a couple of quilters that I send boxes to.  One collects greens and the other collects everything fabric.  I"ve sent out 3 boxes this month.  

This particular large bin I was filling had a purpose.  There was a new quilter  friend of one of our guild members and she was going to be the recipient of this large bin.  When I was new to quilting, I received 2 large bins stuffed full of fabrics and I was extremely appreciative.  When you don't have a large stash, you will take just about anything to sew with.  So lets get back to the recent stashes left by my quilting friends.  

The two quilters in charge of distributing the stashes were ready for them to go.  I came home with two bins full of folded fat quarters around comic boards and some partial fat quarters.  I was impressed with how organized the bins were.  Every piece was folded around a board.  Most of the fabrics were dark, civil war and Thimbleberry type fabrics.  I pulled a stack of greens and instantly packed a box to send to my green friend.  Then Jo at Jo's Country Junction said her daughter Kelli was going to be sewing masks for children so I packed a box with all the child themed fabrics I could find, including Peppa Pig!    

What to do with the rest of them?  We collect 10 1/2" squares at our church guild so I sat down and started cutting out squares for the church.  I was able to empty one of the bins and the other bin I started attacking yesterday.  In addition to the 10 1/2" squares, I'm cutting (2) 4 1/2" squares and (4) 2 1/2" matching squares from the remaining pieces and 5" charms when I can get them.  I found a quilt in a magazine using the above mentioned pieces and I need 120 sets of them.  

Until next time, leave beautiful quilts!  Sew up that fabric and share!  

No comments:

Post a Comment