Wednesday, August 26, 2020

THE TOMATO PLACE

 On our recent trip to Vicksburg, MS, we arrived at our Airbnb at 11:00 am.  Checking in, our host recommended that we go to The Tomato Place for lunch.  We always like local recommendations so we followed his directions to go there.  Its a vegetable market/food place on the side of a busy highway with nothing else around it.  


We ventured inside passing this flat of beautiful tomatoes!  


$20 a flat and they were large beefsteak tomatoes.  We don't get those where I live in Florida except in the Grocery store and they aren't all that good.  We went into order lunch and I ordered a bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwich.  


Oh, my it was huge!  I ended up just eating the insides and leaving the bread.  They also had tomato sandwiches with mayo.  Would have loved that.  My husband ordered a double cheeseburger which was also huge!  He's not a big fan of tomatoes.  


It was rustic decor and we had to eat outside.  Here is Allan waiting for his cheeseburger.  


This sign was on the door!  I thought it was very clever made out of old license plates.  Before we left Vicksburg, we went back to The Tomato Place and I bought 4 beefsteak tomatoes and 4 peaches.  The tomatoes were from Tennessee and had an acidic flavor to them.  I guess they pick up flavors from the dirt they are grown in.  Makes sense that ours  aren't that good because our dirt is sand.  The peaches were so yummy and came from South Carolina.  Sadly they are all gone.  I shared them with my sister and a friend!  


1 comment:

  1. we love our acid tomato's , they are good when we grow them in our garden here in Ga.

    ReplyDelete